Hive, mail # user - Running hadoop commands through Hive -e and -f option - this is not a question, just some answers :-)

Running hadoop commands through Hive -e and -f option - this is not a question, just some answers :-)
Sanjay Subramanian 2013-06-07, 17:47
Hi

As a part of my oozie flows I need to create "touchz" files to notify
status of each stage.
I could never get Oozie shell action to work so I wanted to see if I could
use Hive to run a hdfs/hadoop command

I had run hadoop commands inside hive but wanted to run them using -e and
-f option

Here is the result of my experiment. Hopefully it helps some of u !

HIVE -e option
=============hive -e \!"hdfs dfs -touchz
/user/sasubramanian/gz.files.2013-06-07.files.copied.successful"

HIVE -f option
=============Contents of mytouch.hql
!hdfs dfs -touchz
/user/sasubramanian/gz.files.${DATE_STR}.files.copied.successful
# AT runtime I replace ${DATE_STR} with todays date
hive -f mytouch.hql
Creates the file beautifully

sanjay
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE