MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Maven build YARN ResourceManager only

Re: Maven build YARN ResourceManager only
No problem!  I think yarn-dev is appropriate, so I'm removing user (bcc'd
one last time).  The user list is focused on how to use Hadoop, and the
*-dev lists are focused on how to develop Hadoop.

What specific problem are you seeing when you try to compile
hadoop-yarn-server-resourcemanager independently?  I'm going to take a
guess that it can't find classes from its other dependencies in the Hadoop
source tree.  To handle this, you can run the following from the top of the
source tree:

mvn clean install -DskipTests

This will build the whole source tree and install the resulting jars into
your local Maven repository.  Then, subsequent builds of individual
submodules like hadoop-yarn-server-resourcemanager will link to the jars in
your local Maven repository during their builds.

When you pull in new changes from upstream, you may need to repeat the
install.  For example, this would be required if someone added a new method
in hadoop-yarn-common and changed hadoop-yarn-server-resourcemanager to
call it.  (General rule of thumb: if your build breaks after pulling in new
changes, try a fresh mvn clean install to see if that fixes it.)

You may want to read the file BUILDING.txt in the root of the source tree,
especially the section titled "Building components separately".  That file
contains the same information and a lot of other helpful build tips.

--Chris