MapReduce >> mail # user >> Partition - Distribution of map outputs

+
Pedro Costa 2010-06-30, 20:29
+
Arun C Murthy 2010-06-30, 20:36
+
Pedro Costa 2010-06-30, 22:07
Re: Partition - Distribution of map outputs
Pedro,

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Pedro Costa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - I'm running the wordcount example that accepts 3 small txt files as input.
> I assume that there will exist 3 mappers that produce 3 map outputs. One map
> output per txt file, right?

The number of mappers created will depend on the number of
'InputSplits' generated for the program inputs. How to create
InputSplits is customizable. By default for file based inputs, the
splits are computed according to HDFS blocks they are stored as. So,
in the word count example case, there will be one mapper per split,
not per file. Each mapper generates output for all reduces. The number
of reduces is configured by the user. So, if you've configured 2
reduces, each mapper would typically produce 2 map outputs.

> When reduce tasks fetches the map outputs, they have to know which map
> output he can get. How each reduce knows which map output can get? Who give
> this information to him?

Each reduce task is assigned a 'partition' number by the framework
when it is created. A partition number maps to the particular map
output that a reduce task must fetch output from.

> - The distribution of map outputs to the reducers calls partitioning?

The allocation of map outputs to reduces happens via partitioning. The
actual data transfer is referred as the Shuffle phase.

> - The reducers, during the sort phase, knows already which map output he
> should get, right?

During the Shuffle phase.