HBase >> mail # user >> Why is this region compacting?

Why is this region compacting?
I have a region that is very small, only 5MB. Despite it's size, it has 24
store files. The logs show that it's compacting (over and over again).

The odd thing is that even though there are 24 store files, it only does
one at a time. Even more strange is that my logs are filling up with
compacting this one region. In the last 10 hours, there have been 1,876,200
log entries corresponding to compacting this region alone.

My cluster is 0.94.10, and using almost all default settings. Only a few
are not default:
hbase.hregion.max.filesize = 4294967296
hbase.hstore.compaction.min = 6

I am at a total loss as to why this behavior is occurring. Any help is
appreciated.

--Tom