From: Harsh J [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:58 PM
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: temporary file locations for YARN applications

Hi,

MR does use multiple disks when spilling. But the work directory is also round-robined to spread I/O.

YARN sets an environment property thats a list (comma separated value) of directories (ApplicationConstants.LOCAL_DIR_ENV) your app container can together use. Perhaps read it in with StringUtils.getTrimmedStrings(System.getenv(ApplicationConstants.LOCAL_DIR_ENV));
and then round robin internally over those paths (with free space handling)?

Perhaps you can even reuse the org.apache.hadoop.fs.LocalDirAllocator
class; which is what MR uses. Its not been declared publicly stable though, but we can do that over a JIRA.

--
Harsh J