HBase >> mail # user >> setup of a standalone HBase on local filesystem

setup of a standalone HBase on local filesystem
Hi all,
I want to setup HBase in standalone mode on local filesystem.
I want to use local file system so I guess no need to install hadoop
and zookeeper.
I followed the instructions from
http://hbase.apache.org/book/quickstart.html
i didnt set hbase.rootdir in conf/hbase-site.xml as it will use default /tmp

I am using Kubuntu 12.10 and and
JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.
6.0-openjdk as java 1.6 is required.

HBase shell is running fine but I am unable to create table
I am getting error

hbase(main):001:0> create 'test', 'cf'

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.MasterNotRunningException: Retried 7 times

Here is some help for this command:
Create table; pass table name, a dictionary of specifications per
column family, and optionally a dictionary of table configuration.
Dictionaries are described below in the GENERAL NOTES section.
Examples:

  hbase> create 't1', {NAME => 'f1', VERSIONS => 5}
  hbase> create 't1', {NAME => 'f1'}, {NAME => 'f2'}, {NAME => 'f3'}
  hbase> # The above in shorthand would be the following:
  hbase> create 't1', 'f1', 'f2', 'f3'
  hbase> create 't1', {NAME => 'f1', VERSIONS => 1, TTL => 2592000,
BLOCKCACHE => true}
  hbase> create 't1', 'f1', {SPLITS => ['10', '20', '30', '40']}
  hbase> create 't1', 'f1', {SPLITS_FILE => 'splits.txt'}
  hbase> # Optionally pre-split the table into NUMREGIONS, using
  hbase> # SPLITALGO ("HexStringSplit", "UniformSplit" or classname)
  hbase> create 't1', 'f1', {NUMREGIONS => 15, SPLITALGO =>
'HexStringSplit'}
hbase(main):002:0>

could someone tell me where I am wrong?