HBase, mail # user - Where to place logs

+
Varun Sharma 2012-12-24, 17:27
Re: Where to place logs
Stack 2012-12-26, 21:13
On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Varun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering where people usually place hbase + hadoop logs. I have 4
> disks and 1 very tiny disk with barely 500 megs (thats the typical setup on
> amazon ec2). The 4 disks shall be used for hbase data. Since 500M is too
> small, should I place logs on one of the 4 disks. Could it potentially
> steal IOP(s) from hbase ? Does anyone have an idea how much of an overhead
> logging really is ?

Looks like you have no choice but to put your logging on a data disk.
 Logging can be expensive, yes.  It should be easy enough to measure in
your setup.  You can disable all logging for a short period while the
cluster is under load; do it on a single node even (you can do this from
the UI).  See how your io changes when logging is off.

St.Ack
+
Varun Sharma 2012-12-28, 08:51
+