From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:10:08 +0900
Subject: Encryption in HDFS
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello, I'm a university student.
I implemented AES and Triple DES with CompressionCodec in java cryptography architecture (JCA)The encryption is performed by a client node using Hadoop API.

Map tasks read blocks from HDFS and these blocks are decrypted by each map tasks.I tested my implementation with generic HDFS. My cluster consists of 3 nodes (1 master node, 3 worker nodes) and each machines have quad core processor (i7-2600) and 4GB memory.

A test input is 1TB text file which consists of 32 multiple text files (1 text file is 32GB)
I expected that the encryption takes much more time than generic HDFS. The performance does not differ significantly.

The decryption step takes about 5-7% more than generic HDFS. The encryption step takes about 20-30% more than generic HDFS because it is implemented by single thread and executed by 1 client node.

So the encryption can get more performance.
May there be any error in my test?
I know there are several implementation for encryting files in HDFS. Are these implementations enough to secure HDFS?
best regards,
seonpark
* Sorry for my bad english