Flume >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

Re: [DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

On Jul 11, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Mike Percy wrote:

> +1! Thanks for proposing this Hari.
>
> Regarding review tools, I know some projects use Gerrit <
> https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/> which integrates well with Git.
>
> I'd like to try out how the GitHub pull request flow works before making it
> required, personally. There is something to be said for the current
> attribution system since both the author and reviewer get credit for the
> work, even after branching and merging, etc.

That is an interesting point of view.

In the other projects I work on that use CTR commits are made and then usually several people review them and only comment when changes are required. In those cases the fixes are usually done under the same Jira issue. What you are implying is that the Flume process actually results in less reviewing going on as it is committed after a single reviewer looks at it and then no one else looks at it. I would hope that there are more sets of eyes looking at changes than that so I don't see why just the one person who reviews the change should get credit. But I also have the feeling that the implication here is also that once something is committed if another person finds a problem that they would then have to create a new Jira issue to get it fixed, even if they find the problem 10 minutes after it is committed.

IMO the person who wrote the code is the one who should get credit.

Ralph