HBase >> mail # user >> Any guidelines on the number of region servers in HBase cluster?

Any guidelines on the number of region servers in HBase cluster?
I am new to HBase. I am trying to check if a user is able to configure the number of region servers (not #regions) in a HBase cluster. If yes, any guidelines on the number of region servers?

Thanks
Senqiang