HDFS >> mail # dev >> Name Node Corruption When Shutdown Too Soon

Re: Name Node Corruption When Shutdown Too Soon
Hi Jonathan,

Thank you for raising the issue.
We will need more information about your configuration files.

It sounds like a problem noted by Todd in HDFS-909.
If edits directory precedes image in configuration, then edits
will be emptied prior to saving the image.

Any way it worth filing a jira on that, and attach logs, config file,
whatever you may find helpful for reproducing the problem.

Thanks,
--Konstantin Shvachko

On 2/7/2010 8:45 AM, Allen, Jonathan wrote:
 > I've come across a name node bug and just wanted to check if it's a known issue before I formally raise it (I've had a quick look through the database but couldn't see anything obvious).
 >
 > If the name node is shut down before it has completed reading through the edit log then the edit log gets removed without the image file being updated.  This results in name node reverting to its previously saved state (out of sync with the data nodes)
and the most recent edits getting lost.