Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Clarification of watch behavior at the Zookeeper Server

Re: Clarification of watch behavior at the Zookeeper Server
OK here goes:

As far as I can tell from the code, the watches are resent by the client
connection when it connects to a new server. See ClientCnxn.primeConnection
particularly starting line 894. So whenever you connect to a server, we
resend the live watches. I don't see anything obvious to indicate that if
you reconnect to the same server we wouldn't do that, doesn't look like we
track who we were connected to and doesn't look like this is done on the
server side, but rather on the client side.

"I see from the Java server code that the watches are held at the
individual server. So if you connect to a new server but the session has
not expired, the watch is obviously not registered there, so it's sent a
session event? Which session event?"

It's sent as a setWatches event, added to the outgoing queue after a
connection request for the session, then auth (then watches).
I think the docs are probably imprecise but I don't think this is actually
about connecting to a NEW server, so much as getting disconnected and
reconnected at all.

Inside the server, when you resend those new watches, you send them
associated with a last seen zxid. They are registered in the server as a
HashSet to the Watcher object, which is in fact the ServerCnxn that you've
created with the client. So if for some reason that ServerCnxn object is
the same it wouldn't actually add anything new but I don't think that can
ever be the case. It will use that last seen zxid to check if there were
any changes and send a notification on those changes. The watch will come
in on the SyncConnected state so you know that this happened while you were
disconnected.
Yes, it's controlled by a variable and no, I have no idea why.
I'm sure this isn't answering everything, please feel free to ask
clarifying questions.