Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Rolling upgrades

Rolling upgrades
I've been reading the archives regarding rolling upgrades. Here's the scenario, given a stable ensemble:

ZK1 <-> ZK2 <-> ZK3

In the above, the zoo.cfg for each server looks like this (pseudo):
server.1=ZK1
server.2=ZK2
server.3=ZK3

I want to add a new server, ZK4. If I understand this correctly, I'd bring up ZK4 with this config:
server.1=ZK1
server.2=ZK2
server.3=ZK3
server.4=ZK4

At this point, though, the configs don't match in the ensemble. How do the ZK instances handle this?

Continuing…

Once ZK4 is up, ZK1 would get the new config and get restarted. Once ZK1 is up, ZK2 gets new config, etc.

At each point of config change, the cluster is in a confused state about the config. Is there code in ZK to handle this?

-JZ