Pig >> mail # dev >> Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra

Re: Proposal to create a branch for contrib project Zebra

The reason for a branch is purely based on fair number of improvements
we are planning for Zebra and our desire to have a stable Zebra
implementation for users to use along with PIG on Hadoop-0.20.

New features planned (jiras will be filed soon) :
    * Column security (different permissions for different columns)
    * Ability to drop columns
    * ability to address "column groups" by name
    * Support for sorted tables, map side joins,
    * ...

Many of these changes involve changes to table metadata, schema syntax,
  and on disk format of the metadata (all of these will be backward
compatible).

If Zebra was a project of its own, one would have made a 0.1.0 branch
and worked on new features in the trunk. The new proposed branch is for
achieving the same by keeping PIG and stable Zebra together. PIG branch
0.4.0 will be made when it is appropriate for PIG. Generally, a contrib
project should not influence that decision.

Is there an alternative to creating a branch? Would you prefer we commit
new features to a line that is being used by users?

Raghu.