Hive >> mail # user >> Questions

+
Dalia Sobhy 2012-01-18, 23:50
+
hadoop hive 2012-01-19, 08:06
+
Dalia Sobhy 2012-01-19, 09:19
+
hadoop hive 2012-01-19, 09:30
Hi Dalia,

   Hive and Hbase integration is not a good choice if you want to
perform anything in real time.Hive is suitable for batch processing.
Hive is a data warehouse that works on top of Hadoop and provides SQL
like functionality. When you fire a Hive query it first gets converted
into a MapReduce job (under the hood) and then provides the desired
result.

   And, as far as speed of execution is concerned, any Hadoop project
would be a good choice when we have to handle "large" data sets. We
cannot expect RDBMS kind of functionality when we are talking about
Hbase. But, once you are confident that Hive-Hbase integration fits
into your requirements then nothing could be a better choice.

   You can have a look at the below specified links that show Java API usage -

http://anders.com/1offs/hadoop/hbase/CreateTable.java.txt (Java+Hbase).
http://hbasecodes.blogspot.com/2011/01/operating-on-hbase-columns.html
(Operating on HBase columns throuh Java).
http://blog.rajeevsharma.in/2009/06/using-hbase-in-java-0193.html
(Performing various operations on a Hbase table through Java).
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HiveClient (Different
Hive clients that include Thrift, JDBS, ODBC etc).
http://dev.bizo.com/2009/10/hive-map-reduce-in-java.html (Hive map
reduce in java).
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HBaseIntegration (It
speaks about Hive-Hbase integration).

   You can also have a look at this video -
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFrXf_rgBg"

Regards,
    Mohammad Tariq