HBase >> mail # user >> HBase without compactions?

Re: HBase without compactions?
Well

M7 is supposed to be in open public beta,  I think.

I haven't had time to play with it, but MapR has a lot of nice features that can't really be done in HDFS.
Its basically the benefits of being almost POSIX compliant.

The reason I mention M7 is that they supposedly get rid of compactions, however I havent seen it in action.

In theory I can see this happening because you have a rw filesystem so why would would you need to have a write only file  and then compaction where the write only files merge?
I would imagine with some thought and time, HDFS could evolve to this ...

Its an interesting evolution on MapR's part and you have to give those guys credit for doing something cool.