Hadoop, mail # general - [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5

+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 17:07
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 17:40
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 18:04
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 18:10
+
Chris Douglas 2013-05-14, 18:22
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-14, 18:52
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 07:45
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-15, 09:17
+
Chris Nauroth 2013-05-15, 16:31
+
Matt Foley 2013-05-15, 08:20
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-15, 16:50
+
Suresh Srinivas 2013-05-15, 17:39
+
sanjay Radia 2013-05-15, 04:16
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-15, 01:45
Re: [RESULT] Release plan for Hadoop 2.0.5
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 05:47
Yes, Vinod. Thanks for understanding.

The plan is not to add any new features in 2.0.5. Only API changes to allow
potential feature backports in subsequent releases.
I will rename branch-2.0-alpha Arun created to branch-2.0.5 (right after
this), make changes on it, then release. Similar to branch-0.23 model.

Renaming of current 2.0.5-beta to 2.1 is great.
Do I understand correctly that renaming current 2.0.5-beta to 2.1 is a
change in CHANGES.txt and renaming Jira versions, since 2.0.5-beta branch
has not been carved?

Guys, please raise your voice to volunteer for the RM role? I will take on
it if nobody wants it.
I guess it will take a day or two to sort things out after the vote.

Thanks,
--Konst

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have no idea what you meant there.
>
> Even though several others noted that it isn't clear what is being voted
> on, trying to make sense out of it, it seems that
>  - you don't want any new features at all in 2.0.5.
>  - The originally planned 2.0.5 *has* already got new features which go
> against this vote result.
>
> So I think, Arun proposed that we rename the originally planned 2.0.5 to
> 2.1 and you said yes. Arun then he went ahead and copied 2.0.4-alpha to
> 2.0-alpha where it can be 'stabilized'.
>
> And then this.
>
> Please make it clear. Unfortunately there are those who have the onus of
> reviewing/committing some 'features' to branch-2. Please let us know what
> is okay.
>
> Will start committing to branch-2 unless I hear otherwise.
>
> The other concern is about merging patches into this 'stability-branch'.
> Clearly the vote doesn't tell who the RM is and it isn't clear who is doing
> it. Till that happens, I'll skip merging patches to branch-2.0-alpha branch
> - whether the patch is a feature or a bug needs to be negotiated with the
> RM *when in doubt*.
>
> Thanks,
> +Vinod
>
> On May 14, 2013, at 11:52 AM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you are having fun, Arun.
> > 2.0.5 is explicitly in the subject line for this vote.
> > No worries I'll fix that.
> >
> > You should stop assuming - it's in nobody interests - and start reading.
> > --Konst
> >

> > On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Arun C Murthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >> Thanks. I've copied branch-2.0.4-alpha as a new branch-2.0-alpha branch.
> >>
> >> This way you can start with a clean slate. Good luck.
> >>
> >> As I noted before in the thread, the APIs in branch-2.0-alpha will
> remain
> >> incompatible with branch-2.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >> Arun

+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-17, 01:23
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-17, 04:10
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 00:50
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 05:09
+
Aaron T. Myers 2013-05-14, 21:39
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2013-05-14, 18:08
+
Arun C Murthy 2013-05-14, 18:12
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2013-05-14, 17:26
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-05-14, 20:15
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2013-05-15, 04:42
+
Steve Loughran 2013-05-15, 06:09