Hadoop, mail # general - Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release

Re: Thinking about the next hadoop mainline release
Allen Wittenauer 2011-06-18, 02:15

On Jun 17, 2011, at 7:02 PM, Rajiv Chittajallu wrote:

> Allen Wittenauer wrote on 06/17/11 at 13:27:43 -0700:
>>
>> Actually, I was just reminded about the complete disaster that is metrics.  So while it may be pseudo-stable, it  isn't actually usable for anyone but Yahoo!.
>
> Did you try to use the new metrics framework? Are you complaining
> cause there is no port of ganglia metrics module to metrics V2?

Like 80-90%+ of the Hadoop sites that gather metrics, yes, we use Ganglia.

> Its pluggable and you can choose to disable it if you want to.
> All metrics and status information is available via jmx.
> Multiple sinks and filters, more importantly you can refresh
> metrics configs without restarting the process.

But first we need to switch to a new metrics infrastructure.  This wouldn't have been so bad if the release notes actually had said "You know your current metrics system? Yeah, toss it because we just broke everything."

I'm certainly not a fan of Ganglia, but this sort of unexpected breakage is very, very bad.