MapReduce, mail # user - how to control (or understand) the memory usage in hdfs

+
Ted 2013-03-23, 04:33
Re: how to control (or understand) the memory usage in hdfs
Harsh J 2013-03-23, 05:14
I run a 128 MB heap size DN for my simple purposes on my Mac and it
runs well for what load I apply on it.

A DN's primary, growing memory consumption comes from the # of blocks
it carries. All of these blocks' file paths are mapped and kept in the
RAM during its lifetime. If your DN has acquired a lot of blocks by
now, like say close to a million or more, then 1 GB may not suffice
anymore to hold them in and you'd need to scale up (add more RAM or
increase heap size if you have more RAM)/scale out (add another node
and run the balancer).

--
Harsh J
+