Avro, mail # user - Can serialized Avro records be efficiently compared without deserializing?

+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-05-22, 20:22
Re: Can serialized Avro records be efficiently compared without deserializing?
Russell Jurney 2012-05-22, 21:43
+1

I need this kind of access too, to roll back Avro records that fail to
finish writing when python dies from a UTF error.

Russell Jurney http://datasyndrome.com

On May 22, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Jonathan Coveney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Imagine I use Avro to serialize an object (without loss of generality let's say an array of longs). I'm curious if it is possible to compare those arrays without deserializing... ie look at the bytes in memory or on disk, and do the comparison based on those bytes (ie the raw comparison that Hadoop does in the shuffle sort).
>
> I poked around the documentation but wasn't sure where to look.
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Jon
+
Doug Cutting 2012-05-23, 17:28