Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: binary release artifacts

+
Eric Yang 2013-09-13, 22:53
+
ant elder 2013-09-22, 05:01
+
Tim Williams 2013-09-14, 00:18
+
ant elder 2013-09-14, 06:55
On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Tim Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
> I've included references inline for your convenience.  I'll once again
> [strongly] suggest you guys remove that artifact.
>
> Thanks,
> --tim
>
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Eric Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > There is LICENSE.txt and NOTICES.txt in both source and binary package.
>  In
> > the binary package, the files are located in $PREFIX/share/doc/chukwa to
> > match what standard Linux file system layout.  We voted for source
> release
> > and there is no Apache restriction that a source release, can not
> procedure
> > a binary package.
>
> "Votes on whether a package is ready to be released use majority
> approval -- i.e., at least three PMC members must vote affirmatively
> for release, and there must be more positive than negative votes."
>
> Each vote is on signed, hashed artifacts, so yes, if you say it's a
> "source vote" then no binary should accompany it.
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#approving-a-release
>
> > There is also no restriction that binary release must
> > have LICENSE.txt and NOTICES.txt in the top level directory.
>
> How do you reach that understanding from the sentence below?
>
> "Every Apache distribution should include a NOTICE file in the top
> directory, along with the standard LICENSE file."
>
> http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice
>

> > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Tim Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe my subscription was confirmed yet the first time I sent this...

+1, only artifacts reviewed and approved by votes should be distributed as
a release. If a release is providing a source tarball, binary tarball, and
maven binaries, then all these should be reviewed and voted as part of the
release, otherwise they should not be distributed.
--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende