HBase >> mail # user >> HBase and Cassandra on StackOverflow

+
Chris Tarnas 2011-08-30, 06:02
+
highpointe 2011-08-30, 06:16
+
highpointe 2011-08-30, 06:14
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-30, 09:47
+
Bernd Fondermann 2011-08-30, 11:29
+
Sam Seigal 2011-08-30, 11:35
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-08-30, 15:26
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-30, 16:17
+
Sam Seigal 2011-08-30, 19:22
+
Joseph Boyd 2011-08-30, 20:04
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-08-30, 20:09
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-31, 03:52
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-31, 03:48
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-08-30, 16:21
+
Chris Tarnas 2011-08-30, 17:19
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-31, 00:37
+
Joe Pallas 2011-08-30, 17:42
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-08-30, 23:55
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-08-31, 01:05
+
Time Less 2011-08-31, 05:47
+
Gary Helmling 2011-08-31, 18:21
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-09-01, 04:35
+
Time Less 2011-08-31, 05:34
+
Edward Capriolo 2011-09-01, 17:53
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-09-01, 19:12
+
Joseph Pallas 2011-09-02, 17:27
+
Ryan Rawson 2011-09-02, 17:47
Re: HBase and Cassandra on StackOverflow
Don't forget that Gluster just released a beta open source Hadoop connector.
 Their "we'll just a dip a toe in the hadoop community" approach doesn't
inspire confidence.  On the other hand, they have a decent track record
regarding larger HA file system setups and offer many things that MapR
offers (e.g. NFS, built as a distributed file system since day 1, etc.)
along with open source.

I agree with Joe that there aren't great options with regards to HA.

   1. If you're okay with closed source and a big price tag (list is like
   4k/node), MapR is probably your best option.
   2. If you're Facebook or Yahoo you can make a solution work because you
   have the manpower.
   3. If you're not either 1 or 2, you're kinda stuck on the Hadoop side of
   things--you use the best hardware you can for the namenode and use either
   DRBD or a redundant SAN (which can be had for much less than 250k)

I strongly believe that things have the potential to change substantially
within the next 12 months.  (More optimistic than Ryan-- maybe because he
has seen the Hadoop community thrashing for longer).

And yes, ceph is getting closer all the time.
+
Time Less 2011-09-01, 22:13
+
Michael Segel 2011-09-02, 00:47