Pig >> mail # user >> Question about UDFs and tuple ordering

Re: Question about UDFs and tuple ordering
You can write an EvalFunc UDF that depends on a sort, and there are
several in piggybank that do so. COR (the correlate UDF) is such an
example. You call these UDFs on a relation after ordering them.

For example:

answers = foreach (group data by key)
{
  sorted = order data by value;
  generate my_udf(sorted.field1, sorted.field2);
}

If I remember correctly, you can in fact also do this:

sorted = order data by field;
answer = foreach sorted generate my_udf(sorted.field, sorted.other_field);

Although strictly speaking, Pig doesn't garuantee a sort is maintained
outside of {}

I can't help on the JOIN, I don't know about that. But check Pig's
bloom filter: http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.10.0/api/org/apache/pig/builtin/Bloom.html

Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney