Zookeeper >> mail # user >> [newb] cross-WAN ZK use?

Re: [newb] cross-WAN ZK use?
Hi David, I'm not sure I understand your question. When you say "relax
latency requirements" and "giving up performance", do you mean that
you don't mind having higher latency and lower throughput? If so, then
I think you can get it straight away with ZooKeeper. Depending on how
many data centers you have, and how far apart they ar, you may
consider using a different quorum configuration using this mechanism:

http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.3.2/zookeeperHierarchicalQuorums.html
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/r3.3.2/zookeeperAdmin.html

-Flavio
On Dec 5, 2010, at 6:47 PM, David Carmean wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been reading about ZK (and Hedwig) off and on for a few days, and
> I have a small application where ZK might be useful, but there is some
> doubt.
>
> My present app has very low performance requirements; I'm looking to
> maintain no more than a couple of thousand tiny znodes as
> configuration
> items and coordination bits for a monitoring application.  I'm
> experimenting
> with cross-site failover capability for various tiers of this
> application.
> One of the requirements, however, is to be robust against a complete
> outage
> of any one datacenter (client has been burned by such an outage
> recently...)
>
> Is it possible to turn some knobs that would relax the latency
> requirements
> in the ensemble voting process in return for giving up performance?
> I really
> don't need more than a few tens of writes per second for this app.
>
> Thanks.

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301