HBase >> mail # user >> Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?

+
bigdata 2012-12-18, 09:20
+
Doug Meil 2012-12-18, 13:40
Re: Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?
Hello,

There is middle term betwen sequecial keys (hot spoting risk) and md5
(heavy scan):
  * you can use composed keys with a field that can segregate data
(hostname, productname, metric name) like OpenTSDB
  * or use Salt with a limited number of values (example
substr(md5(rowid),0,1) = 16 values)
    so that a scan is a combination of 16 filters on on each salt values
    you can base your code on HBaseWD by sematext

http://blog.sematext.com/2012/04/09/hbasewd-avoid-regionserver-hotspotting-despite-writing-records-with-sequential-keys/
       https://github.com/sematext/HBaseWD

Cheers,

--