Hadoop, mail # user - Using HBase for real time transaction

RE: Using HBase for real time transaction
Michael Segel 2011-09-21, 01:48

> Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 15:05:31 -0700
> Subject: Re: Using HBase for real time transaction
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> While HBase isn't ACID-compliant, it does have have some guarantees:
>
> http://hbase.apache.org/acid-semantics.html
>
> J-D

I think there has to be some clarification.

The OP was asking about a mySQL replacement.
HBase will never be a RDBMS replacement.  No Transactions means no way of doing OLTP.
Its the wrong tool for that type of work.

Sure I know I can kludge something but its not worth the effort. Choose a better tool like a real database... e.g. Informix.

Recognize what HBase is and what it is not.

This doesn't mean you can't take in or deliver data in real time, it can.
So if you want to use it in a real time manner, sure. Note that like with other databases, you will have to do some work to handle real time data.
I guess you would have to provide a specific use case on what you want to achieve in order to know if its a good fit.

HTH

-Mike