HBase, mail # dev - [VOTE] The 1st hbase 0.94.12 release candidate is available for download

Re: [VOTE] The 1st hbase 0.94.12 release candidate is available for download
lars hofhansl 2013-09-17, 17:23
Thanks Benoit,

looking at the trace, this can only happen if (1) the internal Connection is used before it is fully constructed (i.e. a threading issues) or (2) when the Connection is used after it was closed.
I'm not aware of any changes in that area in 0.94.12.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: tsuna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; lars hofhansl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 12:09 AM
Subject: Re: [VOTE] The 1st hbase 0.94.12 release candidate is available for download

I upgraded HBase at Arista to 0.94.12 RC1 and noticed the following in
the RS logs:

2013-09-17 00:00:21,049 WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC
Server listener on 60586: readAndProcess threw exception
java.lang.NullPointerException. Count of bytes read: 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Connection.readAndProcess(HBaseServer.java:1178)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener.doRead(HBaseServer.java:748)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener$Reader.doRunLoop(HBaseServer.java:539)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Listener$Reader.run(HBaseServer.java:514)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)

I think this was while one of the TSDs was unhappy that HBase had gone
away from under its feet, but I'm not sure it should trigger an NPE
there.  It only occurred once.

But other than this possibly cosmetic issue, everything is running
fine, with TSD sending 5k QPS and with reads that are much faster now
that HBASE-9428 is fixed.

--
Benoit "tsuna" Sigoure