Hadoop >> mail # general >> [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0

+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-29, 22:45
+
Ted Yu 2012-03-29, 22:55
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-03-29, 23:07
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-18, 18:54
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-04-19, 18:26
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-04-19, 18:45
+
Eli Collins 2012-04-19, 19:26
+
Todd Lipcon 2012-04-19, 19:54
+
Enis Söztutar 2012-04-19, 20:05
+
Daryn Sharp 2012-04-20, 14:28
Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.23.2-rc0
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM, Daryn Sharp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I believe it's premature to release a non-alpha. branch-2.0 does not
> contain a full working implementation of host-based tokens that was
> introduced in 1.x (yes, it was done out of order...).  This is a very
> important feature that prevents tokens from being invalidated when a host's
> ip changes.  The token implementation in 2.0 requires daemons to be
> restarted and/or jobs resubmitted when the ip of an NN is changed (ex. an
> upgrade).  Host-based tokens prevents the need to restart all cluster that
> access a remote cluster that is upgraded.

I think blocking the release of a non-alpha on this feature is a bit nutty.
Not to undermine the work, but it only affects users who run security and
want to be able to move a NN/JT from one IP to another without killing
currently running jobs. Only a small fraction of the user base enables
security at all, and an even smaller fraction regularly wants to migrate a
master to a new IP mid-job.

> I've been actively working on the yarn side and close to completion.
>  Until that's complete, I feel we should consider 2.x an alpha so there's
> not an omission of a major feature.

I'd call it a minor feature.

-Todd

--