Bigtop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop

Re: [DISCUSS] BOM for release 0.7.0 of Bigtop
On Tue, 9 Jul 2013 10:40:43 -0700
Konstantin Boudnik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bruno,
>
> just to clarify my stance of 'stability': it is more about stability
> of the Bigtop as a framework than a stability of the stack.
>
> I am not sure we have resources to do maintenance releases at this
> point. May be it is just me.
>
> Cos
>
> On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 10:10AM, Bruno MahИ wrote:
> > On 07/09/2013 09:47 AM, Sean Mackrory wrote:
> >> Without wanting to detract from the spirit of focussing on system
> >> stability, I'd like to suggest a few changes I think it's time we
> >> at least discuss seriously:
> >>
> >> JDKs: I've seen a lot of people ask about JDK 7. Perhaps time to
> >> add support for Oracle JDK 7? It's working pretty well in my
> >> experience, and although it's less tested upstream, the only JDK
> >> we officially support is officially EOL, so we're not exactly in a
> >> good position now IMO.
> >>
> >> Debian 7 has also been out for a while, and I think we should do
> >> at least one release on it. It's likely very little work but I
> >> think there's value in certifying the stack will work well there.
> >> (On the topic of OS's - are we specifically talking SP3 of SLES
> >> 11?). I don't feel strongly on this, but I'm just curious if
> >> there's a reason you're suggesting staying with 12.10 and not
> >> 13.04 - other than wanting less change in this release? Again, I
> >> hardly have an opinion on that one.
> >>
> >> Other components that have recently had releases that I don't
> >> consider to impact the
> >> - Hue 2.4.0
> >> - Whirr 0.8.2
> >> - Flume 1.4.0
> >>
> >> There's also been a ticket to package Avro for a long time and I'd
> >> like to get to that soon. Perhaps Parquet as well? Although like
> >> Phoenix and DataFu, I would suggest doing just the libraries for
> >> now, not all the CLI tools.
> >>
> >> Again - I don't mean to take away from the focus on stability, but
> >> I also don't think we shouldn't stretch to stay up to date either.
> >>
> >> +1 to everything else as suggested, however.

> >> got a
> >> the

> >> and
> >> warranted).

I suggest we should target SLES 11 Sp3 which is just out.  SP2 will only
have 6 months of official support from now.

As for openSUSE 12.3, yes, with the caveat we need get a reliable AWS
image for Jenkins.  I have started on this, but got sidetracked by real
work TM.

Also, I am in agreement about Java 7. From what I understand the delta
from the Oracle 7 and openJDK 7 is much smaller.

+1 for Phoenix, as well.

Thanks,
Peter

Thanks,