Hadoop, mail # user - rack awarness unexpected behaviour

rack awarness unexpected behaviour
Marc Sturlese 2013-08-22, 07:41
Hey there,
I've set up rack awareness on my hadoop cluster with replication 3. I have 2
racks and each contains 50% of the nodes.
I can see that the blocks are spread on the 2 racks, the problem is that all
nodes from a rack are storing 2 replicas and the nodes of the other rack
just one. If I launch the hadoop balancer script, it will properly spread
the replicas across the 2 racks, leaving all nodes with exactly the same
available disk space but, after jobs are running for hours, the data will be
unbalanced again (rack1 having all nodes with less empty disk space than all
nodes from rack2)

Any clue whats going on?
Thanks in advance

Nicolas Liochon 2013-08-22, 08:21