HDFS >> mail # user >> odd temp dir created in hdfs from hdfs-site.xml file setting?

Re: odd temp dir created in hdfs from hdfs-site.xml file setting?
hadoop.tmp.dir is supposed a location the local file system, not a directory
within HDFS.

That value should also be in core-site.xml instead of hdfs-site.xml.  That
might be the cause of your issue.