HBase, mail # dev - [paper]Solving Big Data Challenges for Enterprise Application Performance Management

Re: [paper]Solving Big Data Challenges for Enterprise Application Performance Management
Andrew Purtell 2012-08-30, 15:57
Did I assist? No. Maybe you mean attend? Likewise, no.

This certainly wasn't advertised per the HN headline, and must have been in
some other track than what I attended, because this is the first I've heard
of it. The conference is just over now otherwise I'd track down the authors.

I attended the Distributed Databases session yesterday. This paper
presented a multi-datacenter transactional system with concurrency built on
top of HBase:  Serializability, not Serial: Concurrency Control and
Availability in Multi-Datacenter
Datastores<http://vldb.org/pvldb/vol5/p1459_stacypatterson_vldb2012.pdf>(Stacy
Patterson, Aaron J. Elmore, Faisal Nawab, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi).
So someone out there in academia is using HBase successfully. And the
presentation was fantastic too, by the way. I also finally was able to
attend a talk on PBS in person -- Probabilistically Bounded Staleness for
Practical Partial
Quorums<http://vldb.org/pvldb/vol5/p776_peterbailis_vldb2012.pdf>(Peter
Bailis, Shivaram Venkataraman, Michael J. Franklin, Joseph M.
Hellerstein, Ion Stoica) -- which is really cool work but made me glad our
users are working with HBase.

    - Andy