From: Avinash P [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 16 October 2013 07:01
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with leader election

Hello there!

We're seeing a specific problem on one of our Zookeeper clusters. When nodes
come up, they try the leader election process, fail and then fall back to
standalone mode. This is happening on all the nodes of this specific cluster
which was perfectly functional until probably yesterday.

So here are the settings:
ClientPort: 2181
ConnectPort:2888
ElectionPort:3888

We had a functioning quorum of 5 zookeeper nodes, all of which are now
running in standalone mode. Just to be sure that there wasn't any firewall
issue I used nc -l 3888 on one of the servers and tried connecting from the
other and that just works fine.

One problem that I see is when a Zookeeper cluster comes it only listens on
port 3888 for a short duration. After which a telnet to port 3888 returns
connection refused (nothing's running on port 3888 as confirmed by sudo
netstat).

Logs show a lot of java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

And all nodes seem to run in standalone mode

Thanks in advance for replying

Regards
Avinash