HBase >> mail # user >> Manage Major Compaction.

Manage Major Compaction.
Hello,

The hbase book at apache website has the following statement about
controlling major compaction: "A common administrative technique is to
manage major compactions manually, rather than letting HBase do it. By
default,HConstants.MAJOR_COMPACTION_PERIOD is one day and major compactions
may kick in when you least desire it - especially on a busy system. To turn
off automatic major compactions set the value to 0."

So... If we choose to let HBase do it, is there a way we can set to let
HBase do the major compaction at a certain time of the day? Or is it random
and could be at any time of the day?

And if we set HConstants.MAJOR_COMPACTION_PERIOD to 0, that means we have
to kick off major compaction manually through HBase shell or write a script
to enter shell and execute the major compaction at a certain time? Also,
where should I set HConstants.MAJOR_COMPACTION_PERIOD = 0? In
/conf/hbase-site.xml?

thanks!

Jason