Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> retreat from zookeeper

Re: retreat from zookeeper
Flavio Junqueira:
> poorly designed system.

Hi Flavio,

thank you for your response. Please note that I do intend to appreciate the
sound design of ZooKeeper in my talk. ZooKeeper is not poorly _designed_!
However it is IMHO poorly _implemented_. And I also tried to excuse this by
pointing out that ZK seems to be the first of its kind.
ZK has explored new areas and provided insights that others can build upon
now.

The fact that many projects use ZK shows how important its service is and
confirms my assumption that nobody else has provided something equivalent
before.[1]

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6047917/zookeeper-alternatives-cluster-
coordination-service

So today it's easy for me to point out shortcomings and take ZK for granted,
but in fact it should not be forgotten that ZK is a piece of visionary work
without precedent in its kind.

Best regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro