Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] create a hadoop-build subproject (a follow up on the thread 'introduce Python as build-time...')

+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-12-05, 17:24
+
Colin McCabe 2012-12-05, 18:35
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-12-05, 18:41
+
Doug Cutting 2012-12-08, 00:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-12-08, 01:31
Re: [DISCUSS] create a hadoop-build subproject (a follow up on the thread 'introduce Python as build-time...')
On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Radim Kolar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1. cmake and protoc maven plugins already exists. why you want to write a
> new ones?

This has already been discussed; see
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/cmake-maven-project-users/5FpfUHmg5Ho

Actually the situation is even worse than it might seem from that
thread, since it turns out that com.googlecode.cmake-maven-project has
no support for any platforms but Windows.  It also has no support for
running native unit tests, which is a big motivation behind
HADOOP-8887.

> 2. Groovy accepts java syntax. Just rewrite saveVersion.sh to java (its done
> already in JIRA) and put it in pom.xml - no overhaul of build infrastructure
> needed.

Part of the reason for this thread is so that we can come up with a
solution for both branch-1 and later branches.  This would not be
accomplished by putting all the logic into a pom.xml file, since
branch-1 doesn't use Maven.

best,
Colin
+