Hive >> mail # dev >> How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?

Re: How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?
Remeber that the shim layer will continue to exist.

This is something I would consider:

In 6 months from day x hive will no longer default to building against
hadoop 0.20. Hadoop 0.20.x will not be officially supported, meaning that
our build bots will no longer test against 0.20.x. Compatibility with
hadoop 0.20.x will not be a requirement for any patch. The 0.20 shims will
still remain in trunk. Committers could still accept patches to support
0.20 as long as they are not detrimental to current supported versions.

What this would mean is if i checked out hive trunk in 5 months and 29 days
after day x it would still build , compile , and run on hadoop 0.20 and be
feature complete. At the 6 month mark i lose that guarantee.

On Thursday, September 19, 2013, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> "+1 to dropping Hadoop 0.20.2 support in Hive 0.13, which given that Hive
> 0.12 has just branched means it isn't likely that Hive 0.13 will come out
> in the next 6 months."
>
> LOL
> -1. I was not suggesting we drop 0.20.2 support now, so the next hive
version 0.13 won't have it. That would essentially mean we are dropping it
now.

> I was suggesting dropping the 0.20.2 support in 6 months, so whatever
version STARTED won't have it.

> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> +1 to dropping Hadoop 0.20.2 support in Hive 0.13, which given that Hive
>> 0.12 has just branched means it isn't likely that Hive 0.13 will come out
>> in the next 6 months.
>>
>> -- Owen
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM, Brock Noland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > First off, I have to apologize, I didn't know there would be such
>> > passions on both sides of the 0.20.2 argument!
>> >
>> > On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Edward Capriolo <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>