Hive >> mail # dev >> Tez branch and tez based patches

+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-13, 16:48
+
Alan Gates 2013-07-16, 00:37
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-16, 01:51
+
Alan Gates 2013-07-16, 18:24
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-16, 20:08
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-17, 05:20
Re: Tez branch and tez based patches
Answers to some of your questions inlined.

Alan.

As all JIRA creations and updates are sent to dev@hive, creating a JIRA is de facto posting to the list.

> As a PMC member I feel we need more discussion on Tez on the dev list along
> with a wiki-fied design document. Topics of discussion should include:

I talked with Gunther and he's working on posting a design doc on the wiki.  He has a PDF on the JIRA but he doesn't have write permissions yet on the wiki.

> 1) What is tez?
In Hadoop 2.0, YARN opens up the ability to have multiple execution frameworks in Hadoop.  Hadoop apps are no longer tied to MapReduce as the only execution option.  Tez is an effort to build an execution engine that is optimized for relational data processing, such as Hive and Pig.

The biggest change here is to move away from only Map and Reduce as processing options and to allow alternate combinations of processing, such as map -> reduce -> reduce or tasks that take multiple inputs or shuffles that avoid sorting when it isn't needed.

For a good intro to Tez, see Arun's presentation on it at the recent Hadoop summit (video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZLLzlsz7h8 slides http://www.slideshare.net/Hadoop_Summit/murhty-saha-june26255pmroom212)

> 2) How is tez different from oozie, http://code.google.com/p/hop/,
> http://cs.brown.edu/~backman/cmr.html , and other DAG and or streaming map
> reduce tools/frameworks? Why should we use this and not those?

Oozie is a completely different thing.  Oozie is a workflow engine and a scheduler.  It's core competencies are the ability to coordinate workflows of disparate job types (MR, Pig, Hive, etc.) and to schedule them.  It is not intended as an execution engine for apps such as Pig and Hive.

I am not familiar with these other engines, but the short answer is that Tez is built to work on YARN, which works well for Hive since it is tied to Hadoop.

> 3) When can we expect the first tez release?
I don't know, but I hope sometime this fall.

> 4) How much effort is involved in integrating hive and tez?
Covered in the design doc.

> 5) Who is ready to commit to this effort?
I'll let people speak for themselves on that one.

Unlikely.  Initial integration will be done in one release, but as Tez is a new project I expect it will be adding features in the future that Hive will want to take advantage of.
Can we change this to "not commit patches"?  We can't tell willing people not to work on it.
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-17, 20:41
+
Ashutosh Chauhan 2013-07-18, 00:43