HBase >> mail # user >> HBase type support

+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-13, 16:42
+
David Koch 2013-03-14, 16:51
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 12:25
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:06
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-15, 22:35
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-19, 20:34
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:11
+
James Taylor 2013-03-15, 17:55
+
Nick Dimiduk 2013-03-15, 17:57
+
lars hofhansl 2013-03-16, 05:45
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-16, 12:18
+
Michel Segel 2013-03-16, 12:26
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-03-16, 12:59
Re: HBase type support
Its not a question of FUD, but that certain types of encryption/decryption code falls under the munitions act.
See: http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/eo_crypt_9611_memo.htm

Having said that, there is this:
http://www.bis.doc.gov/encryption/encfaqs6_17_02.html

In short, I don't as a habit export/import encryption technology so I am not up to speed on the current state of the laws.
Which is why I have to question the current state of the US encryption laws.

This then leads to another question... suppose Apache does add encryption to Hadoop. While the Apache organization does have the proper paperwork in place, what then happens to Cloudera, Hortonworks, EMC, IBM, Intel, etc ?

But lets put that question aside.

The point I was trying to make was that the core Sun JVM does support MD5 and SHA-1 out of the box, so that anyone running Hadoop and using the 1.6_xx or the 1.7_xx versions of the JVM will have these packages.

Adding hooks that use these classes are a no brainer.  However, beyond this... you tell me.

-Mike

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-03-17, 17:12
+