Hadoop, mail # dev - JIRA Edits?

Re: JIRA Edits?
Doug Cutting 2010-01-27, 18:49
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> Doug decided he didn't like the majority of people editing their comments on
> jira and disabled edits.

I did propose that we disable comment editing.  There was some
discussion, but no one vetoed the proposal, so I implemented it.

The rationale is that comment edits as implemented by Jira make it hard
to follow an issue.  If you're following an issue by email, and after
you read a 3-paragraph comment, it's then edited, you are re-sent the
entire edited comment, not a diff, and must attempt to figure out what's
changed: whether it's just a spelling correction or whether it's a more
substantial change.  Things are no better in the web interface, since,
if one has already read the comment and then it's edited, one must
re-read the entire message to determine what's changed.  With many
people following each issue, edits incur a cost on the community.
Following Hadoop Jira issues already consumes a lot of our collective
time, and edits increase this.

Rather folks can consider Jira comments like email and IRC messages.
One should review before one posts, and, if one makes a mistake, one
should amend it with a follow-up posting.  This makes it easier for
folks to follow issues either via email and via the web interface.

That said, if most folks now find this objectionable, we can hold a vote
to consider changing it.

Doug