Hive >> mail # user >> Creating partition with __HIVE_DEFAULT_PARTITION__ value

Re: Creating partition with __HIVE_DEFAULT_PARTITION__ value
If its any help I've done this kind of thing frequently:

1. create the table on the new cluster.

2. distcp the data right into the hdfs directory where the table resides on
the new cluster - no temp storage required.

3. run this hive command:   msck repair table <table>;   -- this command
will create your partitions for you - its pretty slick that way.