Hadoop >> mail # user >> Re: Does libhdfs c/c++ api support read/write compressed file

Re: Does libhdfs c/c++ api support read/write compressed file
Hi Xu,

HDFS is data agnostic. It does not currently care about what form the
data of the files are in - whether they are compressed, encrypted,
serialized in format-x, etc..

There are hadoop-common APIs that support decompressing of supported
codecs, but there are no C/C++ level implementations of these (though
you may use JNI). You will have to write/use your own
decompress/compress code for files.

--
Harsh J