Kafka >> mail # user >> since flushes are batched, is it still io intensive?

Re: since flushes are batched, is it still io intensive?
What about memory?  I know you guys have 24GB of ram per server?

Basically I'm juggling between going with a dedicated box (which has faster
IO), or ec2 which has slower IO but cheaper on the ram side (way cheaper!).