HBase >> mail # dev >> 0.94 tests back in shape and some guidelines

0.94 tests back in shape and some guidelines
During the past few days I spend some time to bring the 0.94 test back into shape.

GC issues, bad backports, hanging tests, memory issues, you name it.
I do not want to ever have to do that again.

The good news is: The 0.94 tests are back in shape now. Yeah!

If you commit a patch it is your responsibility to make sure it passes the test suite.
Either the tests should be fixed in a reasonable amount of time or the commit should be reverted.
This is mainly for committers, contributors should also watch the test runs for their patches.
No excuses. The tests are passing now.
I do not care whether a test passes locally, or whether it fails rarely, or whether some tests failed previously, or whatever.

Please, consider this a condition for me to continue as release manager for 0.94.
(This is only for the 0.94 tests. I cannot speak for HadoopQA, or the regular trunk test suite, although eventually I assume we want similar guidelines there)

I increased the retention time for past builds. I will find you :)
I will publicly shame you. I will retroactively -1 the change and revert it, and then shame you again. :)

Lastly, this is a function of the large amount of contributed patches. So it is a good problem to have.
HBase it an actively maintained project and we certainly want to keep it this way, just with an acknoledgement that keeping the test suite passing is important.

Thanks and Merry Christmas (to whoever celebrates that).

-- Lars