Flume >> mail # user >> A customer use case / using spoolDir

A customer use case / using spoolDir
Hello,
thank you for the hint to use the new spoolDir feature in the fresh released 1.3.0 version of Flume.

unfortunately I am not getting the expected result.
Here is my configuration:

agent1.channels = MemoryChannel-2
agent1.channels.MemoryChannel-2.type = memory

agent1.sources = spooldir-1
agent1.sources.spooldir-1.type = spooldir
agent1.sources.spooldir-1.spoolDir = /opt/apache2/logs/flumeSpool
agent1.sources.spooldir-1.fileHeader = true

agent1.sinks = HDFS
agent1.sinks.HDFS.channel = MemoryChannel-2
agent1.sinks.HDFS.type = hdfs
agent1.sinks.HDFS.hdfs.fileType = DataStream
agent1.sinks.HDFS.hdfs.path = hdfs://localhost:9000
agent1.sinks.HDFS.hdfs.writeFormat = Text
Upon start I am getting the following warning:
2012-12-05 11:05:19,216 (conf-file-poller-0) [WARN - org.apache.flume.conf.FlumeConfiguration$AgentConfiguration.validateSources(FlumeConfiguration.java:571)] Removed spooldir-1 due to No Channels configured for spooldir-1

Question:

1) Is something wrong in the above config?

2) How are the files gathered from the spool directory? Every time I drop (copy, etc...) a file in it?

3) What happens to the files that were already in the spool directory before I start the flume agent?

I would appreciate any Help!

Cheers,
Emile
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 06:48:46 -0800
> Von: Mike Percy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Betreff: Re: A customer use case

> Hi Emile,
>
> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:04 AM, Emile Kao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > 1. Which is the best way to implement such a scenario using Flume/
> Hadoop?
> >

> You could use the file spooling client / source to stream these files back
> in the latest trunk and upcoming Flume 1.3.0 builds, along with hdfs sink.
>
> 2. The customer would like to keep the log files in thier original state
> > (file name, size, etc..). Is it practicable using Flume?
> >

> Not recommended. Flume is an event streaming system, not a file copying
> mechanism. If you want to do that, just use some scripts with hadoop fs
> -put instead of Flume. Flume provides a bunch of stream-oriented features
> on top of its event streaming architecture, such as data enrichment
> capabilities, event routing, and configurable file rolling on HDFS, to
> name
> a few.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
+
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2012-12-05, 12:34
+
Patrick Wendell 2012-12-07, 00:50