Hive, mail # user - Re: Difference between like %A% and %a%

+
Sai Sai 2013-05-24, 10:59
+
Jov 2013-05-24, 11:09
+
Sai Sai 2013-05-24, 11:21
+
Dean Wampler 2013-05-24, 12:53
Re: Difference between like %A% and %a%
John Omernik 2013-05-24, 13:07
I have mentioned this before, and I think this a big miss by the Hive team.
 Like, by default in many SQL RDBMS (like MSSQL or MYSQL)  is not case
sensitive. Thus when you have new users moving over to Hive, if they see a
command like "like" they will assume similarity (like many other SQL like
qualities) and thus false negatives may ensue.  Even though it's different
by default (I am ok with this ... I guess, my personal preference is that
it matches the defaults on other systems, and outside of that (which I am,
in in the end fine with, just grumbly :) ) give us the ability to set
that behavior in the hive-site.xml.  That way when an org realizes that it
is different, and their users are all getting false negatives, they can
just update the hive-site and fix the problem rather than have to include
it in training that may or may not work.  I've added this comment to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-4070#comment-13666278  for fun.
:)

Please? :)
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Dean Wampler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your where clause looks at the abbreviation, requiring 'A', not the state
> name. You got the correct answer.
>

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Sai Sai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> But it should get more results for this:
>>
>> %a%
>>
>> than for
>>
>> %A%
>>
>> Please let me know if i am missing something.
>> Thanks
>> Sai
>>

>>    ------------------------------

+