From: Todd Lipcon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HBASE-2312 discussion

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Karthik:
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> Reading over the issue, you think option #2 "not clean" before Todd
> proposes changing overwrite to false.  Do you still think it so?  If
> not, then option #2 seems straight-forward.
>
> While option #3 is more code, its attractive in that its a pattern we
> might take on to solve other filesystem transitions; e.g. recovering
> failed compactions.  Do you think option #3 harder to verify?  The
> 'chasing logs' would be hard to do up in tests.

I think the "chasing logs" thing is actually avoidable pretty easily. I
commented on HBASE-2312 with thoughts there.

Regarding option 1, I'm not entirely against the new HDFS API, so if others
think it's a good solution we may as well go with it (we're already
requiring patched HDFS for sync, so another simple patch isn't a huge deal).

Regarding option 2, not sure what you mean be "The number of log files the
RS can create will be bound." -- can you explain?

Stack's point that #3 is a useful pattern for lots of transitions seems very
valid to me as well.

> Thanks,
> St.Ack
>
> P.S. Tsuna, up https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-2238 there
> is some discussion of why hdfs state changes has to be managed in the
> filesystem only, of how state can't bridge filesystem and zookeeper.
>

> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Karthik Ranganathan
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > Just wanted to close on which solution we wanted to pick for this issue -
> I was thinking about working on this one. There are 3 possibilities here. I
> have briefly written up the issue and the three solutions below.
> >
> > Issue:
> > There is a very corner case when bad things could happen(ie data loss):
> > 1) RS #1 is going to roll its HLog - not yet created the new one, old one
> will get no more writes
> > 2) RS #1 enters GC Pause of Death
> > 3) Master lists HLog files of RS#1 that is has to split as RS#1 is dead,
> starts splitting
> > 4) RS #1 wakes up, created the new HLog (previous one was rolled) and
> appends an edit - which is lost
> >
> > Solution 1:
> > 1) Master detects RS#1 is dead
> > 2) The master renames the /hbase/.logs/<regionserver name> directory to
> something else (say /hbase/.logs/<regionserver name>-dead)
> > 3) Add mkdir support (as opposed to mkdirs) to HDFS - so that a file
> create fails if the directory doesn't exist. Dhruba tells me this is very
> doable.
> > 4) RS#1 comes back up and is not able create the new hlog. It restarts
> itself.
> > NOTE: Need another HDFS API to be supported, Todd wants to avoid this.
> This API exists in Hadoop 0.21, but is not back-ported to 0.20.
> >
> > Solution 2:
> > 1) RS #1 has written log.1, log.2, log.3
> > 2) RS #1 is just about to write log.4 and enters gc pause before doing so
> > 3) Master detects RS #1 dead
> > 4) Master sees log.1, log.2, log.3. It then opens log.3 for append and

Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera