HDFS >> mail # user >> How to get number of data nodes as a hadoop client

How to get number of data nodes as a hadoop client
How does a Hadoop client query the number of datanodes in a Hadoop cluster?  I see getClusterNodes() in the RM protocol, but I'm having a hard time mapping that to a public class/interface that a client would use.
Looking at it more carefully, I'd really like query the nodes in a specific queue or the "default queue", if there is such a thing.
Thanks
john