Chukwa, mail # dev - Incubator report due by July 4th

Re: Incubator report due by July 4th
Chris Douglas 2012-07-02, 21:14
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is one option for this project.  More specifically, maybe we can move the code base into Hadoop, if they're amenable to the idea.

Feel free to ask, but becoming a Hadoop subproject again is not viable
in my opinion. Nobody on the Hadoop PMC is knowledgeable about Chukwa
and, frankly, that is unlikely to change; passing a release vote will
be obnoxiously difficult. Hadoop cannot be an "umbrella" project and
it cannot absorb all, most, or even many of the current, related
incubator projects. The options for Chukwa are continued incubation or
the attic.

It's great to hear that it's being used, but its development community
in Apache has shrunk since incubation began. We can't keep extending
incubation unless we have some more activity, here. Apache isn't a
hosting service; there are plenty of places that do a better job of
that.

We set some goals for Chukwa that are not satisfied. We can resurrect
this project at the ASF if our optimism is well-founded and a
community develops, but this incubation has run its course. -C