HBase >> mail # user >> Adding column family to hbase table

+
Mike 2012-10-30, 14:33
+
Michael Segel 2012-10-30, 14:46
+
Mike 2012-10-30, 14:25
+
Kevin Odell 2012-10-30, 14:35
Re: adding column family to hbase table
When I hear experimental and production in the same conversation, I get shivers up my spine.

Which release(s) contain this flag?

On Oct 30, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Kevin O'dell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike,
>
>  I have not messed around with the online schema changes too much.  It is
> still experimental, but I think you are looking for:
>
> hbase.online.schema.update.enable
>
> Set true to enable online schema changes. This is an experimental feature.
> There are known issues modifying table schemas at the same time a region
> split is happening so your table needs to be quiescent or else you have to
> be running with splits disabled.
>
> Default: false
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I use hbase 0.92 and I am trying to add a column family to hbase table
>> and I get the below error.
>>
>> ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.TableNotDisabledException:
>> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.TableNotDisabledException: test
>>

>> After disabling the table, I can add the column family.
>>
>> But in production environment, I will not be able to disable the table.
>>
>> Is there a way without disabling table, I can add the column family?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> --
> Kevin O'Dell
Kevin Odell 2012-10-30, 15:30